The Evangelical Alliance
LEAF is a local fellowship of the Evangelical Alliance, a nationwide alliance of evangelical Christians committed to being a united movement for change and transformation in our 21st century society.
The Evangelical Alliance's purpose is:
- To promote unity and truth.
- To represent evangelical concerns to the wider world of the Church, state and society.
It does this in a spirit of servant-hood by:
- Affirming the value of our unity in diversity, fostering mutual accountability and working for reconciliation in areas of disagreement.
- Proclaiming, explaining and living biblical truth in contemporary culture.
- Fostering evangelical concern, working through members locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Advocating evangelical perspectives to governments, media and the wider Church and defending religious liberty.
- Encouraging united holistic evangelical action in prayer, evangelism, mission and the pursuit of justice and responsibility at home and worldwide.
The Evangelical Alliance (UK) basis of faith:
We believe in...
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God's image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ—born of the virgin Mary, truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the firstfruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers—given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit's gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfill the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.